Dickenson, neil (CMYK).jpg


I recently moved to Minnesota and I am living with a cousin of mine in Minnesota. I am writing to you concerning driving legally within the state. In Kenya, I am licensed to drive and currently I have that license with me. I also obtained an international driving permit from the necessary licensing body back in Kenya. Are these documents sufficient to allow me to drive within the State of Minnesota before I am able to acquire the state’s driving license?


If you are visiting from another country with a valid driver’s license from your home country, you are not required to get a Minnesota license, and can operate a vehicle legally in our State.

Once you become a Minnesota resident, you have 60 days to get a Minnesota driver’s license.

Also, many insurance companies do not honor an “out-of-country licenses”. Being that auto insurance is required to operate a motor vehicle, you would need to get a Minnesota driver’s license or ask them about your options.

If you have any questions concerning traffic related laws or issues in Minnesota send your questions to Sgt. Neil Dickenson – Minnesota State Patrol at 1131 Mesaba Ave Duluth, MN 55811. (Or reach him at Neil.Dickenson@state.mn.us)

Load comments