Sex offender who lived in Burnsville gets 27 years for kidnapping

Dontay Lavarice Reese

A Level 3 sex offender who lived in Burnsville was sentenced July 2 to 27 years in prison for a woman’s violent kidnapping in August 2017.

Dontay Lavarice Reese, who has a history of violent sexual assaults involving minors, is extremely dangerous and the public must be protected from him, U.S. District Court Judge Patrick Schiltz said at the sentencing in Minneapolis. Schiltz said Reese is “extraordinarily cruel and selfish person,” according to a news release from U.S. Attorney Erica H. MacDonald.

A second indictment against Reese, 38, unsealed June 26, alleges that he assaulted a law enforcement officer while in custody on the kidnapping charge at the Sherburne County Jail.

According to Reese’s guilty plea to one count of kidnapping and court documents, he met the victim in downtown Minneapolis in the early morning hours of Aug. 6, 2017. He offered her a ride home, but instead of driving her home drove her around the Twin Cities against her will, the news release said.

They eventually crossed into Wisconsin. Reese told the woman he was going to take her “several states away” and use her as a prostitute to make money. The woman tried to escape several times, but each time Reese captured and “violently restrained” her, the news release said.

A family witnessed one of the escape attempts in Foster, Wisconsin, and called 911, launching a Wisconsin State Patrol search.

The woman eventually freed herself from in a wooded area off of Interstate 94 in Jackson County. She ran toward troopers, her wrists bound and screaming for help. A short time later Reese emerged from the woods naked and tried to cross the freeway on foot. He was arrested.

MacDonald thanked the victim for her courage and the family for calling police.

“The strength and resilience of this victim has helped ensure the defendant is held accountable for his heinous crimes, and that our community is safe from a violent offender with a long criminal record,” she said in the news release.

Following community notification, Reese moved into the Walden Pond and Parkwood Drive area of Burnsville in February 2010. He had been released early from a 62-month prison sentence.

Reese later served time for violating a condition of his release but moved back to Burnsville in April 2015.

He was convicted of second-degree criminal sexual conduct for a 2003 attack in Eagan, in which he sexually assaulted a 16-year-old girl using force and threats. The attack involved penetration. Reese met the girl on the night of the assault.

In 1995 he held down a 13-year-old girl and brandished a knife while an accomplice penetrated her. Because the victim didn’t cooperate with authorities, there was no prosecution, according to state corrections officials.

Reese has four convictions for fifth-degree assault. His record also includes convictions for theft, obstructing arrest, drugs and burglary.

Load comments