Flint Hills Resources awarded Discovery Scholarships to 26 college-bound students from 13 high schools in Dakota and Washington counties at a celebration banquet on June 5.
The local recipients from Dakota County schools include:
• Apple Valley: Apple Valley High School: Bailey Bertram and Tai Henrichs; Eastview High School: Olivia Lynn Funk and Kenny Thien Ta, and School of Environmental Studies: Anna Amodeo and Amber Manni.
• Eagan: Eagan High School: Elisabeth Duffy and Allison Schmaedeke.
• Farmington: Farmington High School: Cassandra Knutson and Rachel Lam.
• Lakeville: Lakeville North High School: Talon Kandler and Ashley Wells and Lakeville South High School: Kristin Lips and Alyssa Milne.
• Rosemount: Rosemount High School: Josh Schachel and Anthony Tabura.
Since 1991, Flint Hills’ Discovery Scholarships have helped advance the academic careers of more than 500 Minnesota students by awarding nearly $1 million in total scholarships. These annual scholarships are given to college-bound students pursuing careers in math, science, technology, engineering and agriculture.
“Every year, we are amazed by the exceptional students in our community and the impact these students have already made at such a young age,” said Geoff Glasrud, vice president and manufacturing manager at Flint Hills Resources Pine Bend refinery. “We are proud to play a role in supporting them as they explore STEM fields in college and beyond, and we wish them the very best as they begin their college careers.”
Each student received a $2,500 scholarship for their college education in recognition of their strong academic performance and contributions to the community.