Park Center baseball was entering the season with one of the largest senior classes in the past decade.
Osseo wrestling was able to have its season-ending banquet on March 11 just a few days before such events were forced to cancel due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Armstrong boys tennis played out 2019 with the goal of improving and getting ready for 2020, as almost everyone was expected to return.
Ryan Thom was hired as the new head coach for Champlin Park baseball near the end of September, and he started to get things rolling for 2020.
Jake Perry, one of the top college baseball prospects in Minnesota’s class of 2021, has announced his verbal commitment to play for the University of Minnesota.
Champlin Park boys swimming showed off in the pool this season with several postseason awards, including six in the Northwest Suburban Conference and 10 in the 5AA section.
Collegiate basketball fans throughout the country waited until the last minute for Hopkins’ All-State guard Kerwin Walton to choose a school.
Cooper senior Evelyn Villalobos was in eighth grade when she heard her sister Felicia talking about the Minneapolis Athena Award and how a soccer player was nominated.
Brooklyn Center senior wrestlers Simeon Dossen and Clint Garritty were selected to the All-Tri-Metro Conference team this past season.
Former Hopkins Nordic skier Anne Ahlquist finished in the top 10 at the United States Collegiate Skiing Association Championships in Lake Placid, N. Y.
Armstrong seniors Katherine Cannon and Cora Roehm were team captains for the Falcons’ varsity dance team this season, and Cooper junior Sophia Scheveck was one of the top dancers for the Hawks.
Winning the Minneapolis Athena Award was not something senior Sierra Smith thought would be possible, but she was ultimately chosen as Armstrong’s 49th recipient in 2020.
Champlin Park senior Heather Johnson is the second Rebels’ swimmer to claim the Minneapolis Athena Award in the past three years.
Cooper seniors Nolan Boswell, Ben Hunke and Murilo Venancio-Rolim were all named to the All-Metro West Conference squad this past season.
Brooklyn Center senior forward Jameel Taylor and senior guard Kolade Johnson closed their high school careers with All-Tri-Metro West Conference honorable mentions.
Hopkins boys track and field coach Nick Lovas had high hopes for 2020 after winning the Minnesota State High School League and True Team Class AAA state championships last season.
- Champlin Park girls basketball: Dubose, Fitzpatrick earn all-conference honors
- Orv Bies, MSHSL director, leaves legacy of service to youth
- Hopkins girls basketball: One more award for Bueckers
- Park Center girls basketball: Frost earns Athena Award
- Robbinsdale Cooper wrestling: Three grapple to all-conference list
- Robbinsdale Armstrong boys swimming: O’Brien leads all-conference honors
- Osseo boys hockey: Orioles hand out postseason awards, name 2020-21 captains
- Park Valley United tries to navigate uncharted territory
- Robbinsdale Armstrong wrestling: Ohm makes all-conference squad
- American Legion: Perry reflects on summer ball chances
- Champlin Park/Coon Rapids girls hockey: All-conference accolades
- Osseo boys basketball: Three Orioles earn all-conference awards
- MSHSL: Spring prep sports season officially canceled
- Robbinsdale Cooper boys basketball: Four Hawks earn all-conference awards
- Osseo girls basketball: Kline earns all-conference selection
- Crystal/Baseball: Hanging up his umpiring mask
- Robbinsdale Cooper girls basketball: Hawks earn several awards in Metro West
- Robbinsdale Armstrong girls basketball: McGowan earns all-conference selection
- American Legion baseball: Season put on hold until at least May 9
- Park Center girls basketball: McKenzie, Frost honored on All-State list
- Champlin Park boys basketball: Three Rebels make all-conference list
- Armstrong/Cooper girls hockey: Batz, Cook earn all-conference honors
- Champlin amateur baseball: Hoping to get on the diamond
- Hopkins girls basketball: Five starters make All-Lake team
- 59-year veteran Larry Gallagher hangs up his umpire's mask