The Hennepin County Sheriff’s Office today announced the names of the Edina and Richfield police officers involved in the fatal Sept. 7 shooting of Brian J. Quinones.
The incident, which occurred near East 77th Street and Chicago Avenue in Richfield after Quinones led police on a chase that began in Edina, involved the following officers:
• Officer Nicholas Pedersen, a four-year veteran of the Edina Police Department
• Officer Benjamin Wenande, a four-year veteran of the Edina Police Department
• Officer Joseph Carroll, a four-year veteran of the Richfield Police Department
• Officer Dylan Schultz, a three-year veteran of the Richfield Police Department
• Officer Macabe Stariha, a two-year veteran of the Richfield Police Department
All five officers have been placed on standard paid administrative leave. According to Edina Police, Quinones confronted officers with a knife at the scene of the shooting.
The Hennepin County Sheriff’s Office is investigating the incident at the request of the Edina and Richfield police departments. Once the sheriff’s office investigation is complete, it will turn its findings over to the Hennepin County Attorney’s Office for review.