You are the owner of this article.

Spotlight News

Breaking News

featured

Little Falls author looks at food in a new light

  • 0
  • 2 min to read

    It was through her own journey back to health, Amanda Soulvay Plevell, PhD, with the Well Clinic by the Natural Source in Little Falls, discovered the healing aspects of food. For years, she struggled with ulcerative colitis, Crohns disease, thyroid imbalance, depression and anxiety.

    In 2015, after a medical trauma she lost the ability to use her muscles from the waist down. Diagnosed with steroid induced myopathy, it looked like Plevell would be wheelchair bound for the rest of her life. However, through a combination of natural health and prayer, she pushed herself to rebuild her muscles and slowly learned to walk again, she said.

    Plevell recently published her latest book, “Clean Your Plate.” It is based on a combination of what she has done in the last 12 years in the field of wellness. Not only in her own life, but also in the lives of her clients.

Little Falls author looks  at food in a new light

Amanda Soulvay Plevell, PhD, natural health practitioner and author of “Clean Your Plate,” encourages people to look at food as fuel for the body and at the specific function each food item serves.

    “So much in our lives heavily relates to food. It didn’t se

em to matter what it was we were working on. It always came down to what they thought about food, diet and their intake of food,” she said.

    Plevell believes it is important to look at the body as a whole person. The key is to find a balance and address every dimension — physical, social, emotional, environmental, spiritual, financial, intellectual and occupation, not just the physical symptoms that arise.

    One example is when people are really financially stressed, it often leads them to not experience health, happiness and well-being in other areas.

    “Our goal with everybody is balance in all of those dimensions so that they feel happier,” she said.

    There are two major takeaways from her book. One is to start seeing food for its original purpose.

    “We have to start seeing food as fuel for our bodies. It’s like we have forgotten that concept. The purpose for eating is to function the body,” she said.

    Plevell, who coaches her clients, said sometimes people are initially hesitant to make that first appointment. She recalls one client who just wanted to feel better and didn’t have anything wrong with her. She just didn’t like how her body looked and felt overweight.

    “We dove right into the things that were blocking her from having a successful diet. Her first thing was that she was scared to have an appointment because she was scared for what I would tell her she couldn’t have,” she said.

    With a magnitude of fad diets on the market to chose from, Plevell was not surprised. One diet may advocate to remove grains, another fats and the list goes on. However, she is not there to tell them what they can and can’t do or eat.

    Instead, Plevell encourages people to look at the foods they eat in terms of what function the specific food items serve and what it will do once it enters the body. She addresses this in her book.

    “It can build your body, can be an eliminator for your body, a congestor, a lubricator. Essentially, all foods can fit into those categories which makes eating so much simpler,” she said.

    Plevell promotes eating 70 percent vegetative food items. The remaining 30 percent can be whatever each individual chooses, such as grains, meats and sugars.

    “I have noticed that when they are adding so much more vegetation, the 30 percent decreases even more because they just don’t crave those foods anymore,” she said.

    Plevell has included examples of vegetative meals that are easy to prepare. Her book is sold in various online stores, such as www.amazon.com.

    Plevell is already planning to write a sequel, Beyond the Plate, which will focus on case studies she has done, blockers that prevents people to eat healthier and more.

    Plevell’s clinic is located at 63 Broadway Ave. E. in Little Falls and is open by appointment. To learn more may visit www.wellclinicnaturalhealth.com or call (320) 630-9441.

     

        

Load comments