Thursday, APRIL 23, 1970
• It was announced that former Minnesota Twins manager Billy Martin was the principal speaker at Big Lake High School’s All-Awards Banquet.
• The Big Lake Civic and Commercial Club held a lengthy discussion about establishing a youth center in Big Lake.
• Big Lake civic leaders decided to host a community celebration that would include boat races on Big Lake. The event was scheduled to be held July 26.
• The Big Lake junior class hosted a pop bottle drive with proceeds to benefit the junior/senior prom.
• Lynn Brown of Big Lake attended a pageant at the Methodist Hospital School of Nursing in Minneapolis where she was one of nine candidates for “Student Nurse of the Year.”
• The University of Minnesota brought its “Funeral Facts” presentation to Big Lake at Our Lady of the Lake Catholic Church.
• The Town & Lake Shoppe was hosting a wig showing featuring wigs with all the new and exciting colors.
• How much oxtail can your corn take? That was a question being asked by the Big Lake Soil Center.
Beck’s Big Lake Market was selling bananas for 10 cents per pound, strawberries three boxes for $1, a dozen grapefruit for 99 cents, three dozen navel oranges for $1 and large solid heads of lettuce for 17 cents.
Compiled by Jeff Hage