Closing school due to poor weather conditions is always a difficult decision. In deciding to close or postpone school, Braham Area Schools consults with the Braham Bus Company, a number of weather stations, surrounding school districts, the Minnesota Department of Transportation, the Minnesota State Patrol and our own local city and police department. The district will make every effort to post decisions before 6 a.m.
Note that at any time during inclement weather, parents have the option of keeping their children at home. The district also asks that you dress your children appropriately for inclement weather.
The best way to receive timely notices regarding school closure is through the School Messenger system at Braham Area Schools (this system is for Braham Area School families). This is the same system where you check your child’s grades, attendance records, etc. You can choose to receive messages through phone, text or email. Make sure the district has your current information. You can do this in one of two ways:
• Call the elementary at 320-396-3316 or the high school at 320-396-4444.
• Go to the school website. Update the Emergency Form located under the Parents/Students tab.
Notice of school closure will be sent out through School Messenger, WCCO-TV (Ch. 4), KSTP-TV (Ch. 5), KMSP-TV (Ch. 9), KARE-TV (Ch. 11), KBEK Radio, WCMP Radio and School website, see Twitter feed on left side of page.
When school is closed the following events are cancelled:
• All Pre-K-12 classes and programs.
• If school is two hours late on a Tuesday or Thursday all Pre-K-12 classes would be held (starting two hours late) except first step, section 1, morning classes.
• Early Childhood Special Education.
• After-school programs and extra-curricular activities. *Playoffs could alter this decision.
• Field trips.
• Community Ed classes.
• Before-and-after child care (BASK).
• Permits held by outside organizations for meetings and activities in a school building will continue unless that organization cancels. Contact the organizer with questions.
For more information call 320-396-5199.