By Daniel E. McGonigle
The Caledonia Argus
The organizers of Turkey Fest are sponsoring a “Celebrity scarcrow contest” held from October 16 through the 20th, during Turkey Fest.
The “celebrity” can be any character that is commonly recognized.
The free event is a chance for the community to come together and celebrate as Turkey Fest marks its fifth year in existence.
“Scarecrows must be family friendly,” said one of the organizers, Marian Gavin. “This is a free event.”
Three categories will be awarded with a $50 prize, plus a “people’s choice,” award.
The categories are: “youth groups/school groups, families, individuals, and organizations and businesses.”
“Judging will be done by ‘non-Caledonia’ residents,” said Gavin.
Display deadline is Wednesday, October 16 as judging will be on Thursday, October 17.
“Entry forms are available and must be turned into city hall by Friday, October 11,” said Gavin.
• Scarecrows must be able to withstand weather conditions-some indoor sites are available. Call 507-450-6160 to reserve an indoor site.
• Participants are responsible for setup and cleanup of their materials. No materials may be left onsite.
• Signs will be provided for the celebrity name before judging and the exhibitor name will be added after judging.
• Scarecrows should be removed no later than November 2.
• Facial expression of the scarecrow is important, and the first thing a viewer notices. The face can be sad, cheerful, beautiful, ugly or angry. Masks are permitted.
• Scarecrow head materials can include: old milk jugs, flower pots, gourds, wood, basketball, plastic pumpkins, stuffed pillowcase or burlap.
• Hair can be made from a variety of materials including, yarn, pipe cleaners, shredded plastic, beads, moss, rope, raffia, mop head or torn fabric.
• Plastic bags make the best stuffing. Newspaper and water-soluble peanuts are not recommended because they do not hold up in wet weather.
• Accessories make the difference! Add hats, gloves, shoes a scarf and other props.